Friday, October 31, 2008

Wherein We Reveal Our Baseball Loyalties

This guy ranks the top 50 baseball free agents, and thinks the Mets are the best place for the following: 
1. Oliver Perez, Mets starter
2. Bobby Abreu, Yankees right fielder
3. Juan Cruz, Diamondbacks reliever
4. Orlando Hudson, Diamondbacks 2B

I agree with Perez. While he really is a coin-flip proposition, I think it's probably better for the Mets to bear with the starting pitching ills they have than fly to others they know not of. Sabathia threw a LOT of innings this year, I don't trust AJ Burnett, Ben Sheets gets hurt if he blinks too hard, and the other guys on the list are either old guys unlikely to leave their current homes (Jamie Moyer, Andy Pettite, Randy Johnson) or don't represent that much of an upgrade (Paul Byrd, Braden Looper, Jon Garland).  As for the other three guys, I think Abreu would be sort of expensive and extraneous (I'm not giving up on Nick Evans or Daniel Murphy in the outfield yet). I freely admit to not having seen the Diamondbacks play this season, so I can't comment on Hudson (certainly would represent an upgrade over the creaky-kneed Castillo, though) or Cruz (whom I'd never heard of before reading this article, but this writer proposes as a closer candidate). 

This article also suggests that Manny stay a Dodger AND that the Dodgers sign Sabathia (spending other people's imaginary money is fun, hmm?), the Yankees get Teixeira, and that the Angels keep K-rod. I have come out in favor of the Mets *NOT* breaking the bank for K-rod before, because I think they could come up with someone reliable who doesn't like to play the current Mets Bullpen Game ("three outs in a row are boring, let's put a couple guys on base to spice it up") quite so much. (This season might have gone better for all of us if we'd invented a Mets Bullpen Drinking Game. If Aaron Heilman is still a Met in '09, I will sit down and write some rules for that one.) 

No comments: