Thursday, November 6, 2008

A Failed Hockey Fan Fesses Up

I was an intermittently rabid Buffalo Sabres fan from the age of thirteen (Mike Peca was sooo cute back then!) through college and grad school, when I was living, working, and watching sports in upstate New York. I even bought my ex playoff tickets for his birthday and enthusiastically accompanied him to a game (even if they did lose, and even if I did get hit on by Canadian guys every time he got up for a beer). 

I moved to Metro New York for a year and was given two hockey options on basic cable: Rangers or Islanders. Being too poor and busy to drop the cash on Center Ice for my 14" TV, I chose instead to fall out of the hockey loop and focus my sports energies on football. Imagine my surprise when, while perusing Yahoo's Puck Daddy blog, I learned Dmitri Kalinin has become a New York Ranger. This blows a HUGE hole in the old Buffalo Sabres Drinking Game, where a Kalinin screw-up merited - if I recall correctly - finishing your beer. 

Enjoy your beer-finishings, New Yorkers! 

No comments: